The Samperi Farm is four kilometres from Leonforte on the S121 road, on the southern slopes of Mount Stella in the Erei range of mountains.
The subsequent Byzantine and Arab rulers built Tavi Castle on a cliff 517 metres overlooking the valley of the Chrysas River, today known as “U Castiddazzu.”With the arrival of the Normans in 1060 the estate passed from one lordship to another until the fifteenth century when it became the property of the noble Branciforti family. Between 1608 and 1610, with licentia populandi, Nicolò Placido Branciforti Count of Raccuglia, considering the potential and fertility of the land, rich in water and mills, founded the town of Leonforte in honour of his family coat of arms
(a lion rampant holding up a banner with its front legs and the motto in fortitude bracchii tui). In 1622 his estate was raised to the level of a principality.