There are many monuments that make Leonforte a unique place, but it is its fountains that are the pride of the town.
The Granfonte Defined as the largest fountain of the town, this monumental work of art was built between 1649 and 1652. It is known locally as the fountain of “Vintiquattru cannola,” because of the twenty-four bronze spouts from which the water continuously flows pouring into the basin below. Its construction is attributed to the well-known architect from Palermo, M. Smiriglio and was inspired by the numerous works of Flemish artists who were very popular on the island in the 1600s.
The Fountain of the Nymphs Built around 1636 this fountain is located in the old Sottana Square. The Fountain of the Nymphs was the first monumental fountain in Leonforte in terms of age. Its architecture celebrates the old source of the Tavi, that fed, according to the Fazello, the Chrysas and Teria rivers. The fountain is a triumphal arch on the top of an artificial rock from which the water flows. The water passes through the mouth of a lion, and pours into a polygonal basin lined with majolica tiles. Two fine marble statues, from Palermo, adorn the side niches while a pelican, a symbol of the Eucharist, overlooks the large plaque on the second tier of the fountain.
The Great Garden This enchanting garden is full of fountains, water features and paths between merangoli (bitter orange) groves and rare plants. At one of the two entrances you can see a lintel on which is engraved in Latin “by the ripples of the Chrysas River a Sicilian temple” alluding to the valley sacred to Apollo and celebrated by the Greeks for its beauty. Over the years, however, the Ovata fountain surrounded by stone seats, a body of water surrounded by a balustrade, that of the big jump, the Fountain of Neptune and the Fountain of the Pavilion which was surrounded by comfortable seats, and even an artificial grotto containing a marble cherub, have all unfortunately disappeared from the garden due to weathering.